Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Redoing the bassinet - Adding the skirt

Okay, this is the part where you might want to do something totally different than what I did.  I just added a simple skirts but there are all sorts of ways that you could change it up to be more individualized.  I don't really like frilly things like ruffles, so I did pleats, but you could do ruffles.  You could also add all sorts of helpful pockets to keep things like pacifiers, and lovies close by.  I didn't think that far ahead, so mine isn't anything special, maybe I'll add something later in the way of convenient storage.

Supplies:
1 yd 44" cotton fabric
Cotton fabric left over from making the canopy
Matching tread
Velcro

Alright, because this was so simple to make I didn't take many pictures, but I think you can get the idea here.  I started out by cutting my 1 yd of cotton fabric into 3 strips of 10."  Then removed the selveges and stitched the short sides together to make one really long piece of fabric that was 10" in width that could wrap around the bassinet.  Then I put a 1/2" hem along one of the long edges and finished the short edges with a 1/2" hem as well.  My piece of fabric ended up being 124" and when I wrapped it around the bassinet I found that I had an extra 27" of material.  So, to reduce the size of the fabric I put in 9 3" box pleats on the unfinished edge, centering one of the pleats in the middle and placing them evenly around the skirt.  

To finish the raw edge I sewed together 3 2" WOF strips of my cotton fabric left over from the canopy together lengthwise, then folded and pressed in half wrong sides together making a sort of bias tape.  Then I attached this with about a 1/2" seam to the back of the skirt leaving about 1" hanging off the edge.  After attaching to the back side I folded the piece hanging over onto the front of the fabric and stitched it on.  Then I folded the whole thing over and stitched it to the right side.  This is what I ended up with.

In this picture it's actually being held on with pins.  Later this evening I will add velcro on the back side and to to bassinet cover to hold it up.  There really are a lot of options with this too, you could tie it on, add elastic, or you could even permanently sew it on!  Keep in mind that if you permanently sew it on you'll have to leave a space to access the zippers on the end.  My bassinet is getting cuter everyday!

2 comments:

  1. Would you be interested in making one for someone else?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Normally I would say yes, but right now we are in the process of moving across the state, so things are a little crazy at our house! If you sew at all, it really was quite easy, and if you have the original cover you can use that as a pattern. Or if you know a seamstress you could take them the original and I'm sure they can make you once. On the other hand, after using this bassinet I'm not sure I would recommend it, it looked nice, but I wasn't really happy with the metal bars and the wide spacing, having been a former pediatric nurse I was concerned about the possibility of my son migrating to the edge and banging his head on the bars under the fabric, plus the bassinet wasn't very stable. My three year old was able to knock it over (yes, with a sleeping baby in it). Thankfully everyone survived, but still!

    ReplyDelete